QUESNEL - The Cariboo Regional District (CRD) has declared a State of Local Emergency for Electoral Area I. The CRD has issued an immediate evacuation order for some areas in the Nazko Valley due to immediate danger from flooding.
The order area includes 46 house points. Members of the RCMP or other groups will be going door to door with the evacuation order.
The Evacuation Route is South via Nazko Road to Quesnel. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI) has confirmed the Nazko bridge is passable and open to single lane traffic.
The CRD asks evacuees to register with Emergency Support Services (ESS) at the reception centre in the Quesnel Recreation Centre at 500 North Star Road, which will be open until 8:00 p.m. tonight.
What evacuees should do:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help.
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available.
- Take pets in pet kennels or on a leash.
- Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
- Register with Emergency Support Services (ESS).
CRD emphasizes that if your area is under evacuation you must leave the area immediately.
A second evacuation order was completed for the Nazko area Monday morning. So far, 50 people have registered in Quesnel for Emergency Social Services. That includes both CRD and Nazko First Nation residents.
Evacuated residents should register with Emergency Support Services (ESS) at the reception centre in the Quesnel Recreation Centre. It'll be open until 8 pm Monday night and from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesday.
Demand for legalized cannabis draws lineups, heavy web traffic across Canada
TORONTO — Canadians eager to make their first legal purchase of recreational cannabis were met with...
READ MORE +
TYH: Merits of Meal Delivery
They are advertised as a quick and easy way to make dinner for your family. A box full of fresh pre...
READ MORE +
Parole denied for convicted killer-rapist Paul Bernardo after 25 years in prison
BATH, Ont. — Convicted rapist and killer Paul Bernardo has been denied parole. A National Parole...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.