QUESNEL - The Cariboo Regional District (CRD) has declared a State of Local Emergency for Electoral Area I. The CRD has issued an immediate evacuation order for some areas in the Nazko Valley due to immediate danger from flooding.
The order area includes 46 house points. Members of the RCMP or other groups will be going door to door with the evacuation order.
The Evacuation Route is South via Nazko Road to Quesnel. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI) has confirmed the Nazko bridge is passable and open to single lane traffic.
The CRD asks evacuees to register with Emergency Support Services (ESS) at the reception centre in the Quesnel Recreation Centre at 500 North Star Road, which will be open until 8:00 p.m. tonight.
What evacuees should do:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help.
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available.
- Take pets in pet kennels or on a leash.
- Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
- Register with Emergency Support Services (ESS).
CRD emphasizes that if your area is under evacuation you must leave the area immediately.
A second evacuation order was completed for the Nazko area Monday morning. So far, 50 people have registered in Quesnel for Emergency Social Services. That includes both CRD and Nazko First Nation residents.
Evacuated residents should register with Emergency Support Services (ESS) at the reception centre in the Quesnel Recreation Centre. It'll be open until 8 pm Monday night and from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesday.
Drivers Beware: Snowfall Warning in Pine Pass
PRINCE GEORGE- If you're traveling North this afternoon be sure to check Drive BC for the latest...
READ MORE +
Emergency Landing At YXS
PRINCE GEORGE - Crews responded quickly to an emergency landing of a Central Mountain Air flight,...
READ MORE +
Two Vehicle Collision Intersection of N. Nechako & Foothills
PRINCE GEORGE - Just after 4:30 this afternoon emergency crews were called to the intersection of...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.