Manufactured home

Mobile home park tenants happy with new park rule

May 10, 2024 | 5:26 PM

PRINCE GEORGE – Changes are coming to the Manufctured Home Park Tenancy Regulation, which has home owners in Prince George manufactured home parks happy. The new change states that park owners are now allowed to change the rules only once a year with a three-month notice.

“We did ask for some changes that would make the rules clearer. And they’ve done that. So, we’re pretty happy,” says Susan Belford, the president of BC’s Active Manufactured Home Owners Society.

This comes after disputes between homeowners and park owners in some residential manufactured home parks.

“Before, there was two weeks notice for these rules. And some people would be left behind, for example, somebody who doesn’t get the notice, the handwritten notice. And then it comes back to their home three weeks later. They don’t know that there’s a new rule in place,” says Belford.

Belford says some park owners previously created the rule and applied the regulation without evident notice. She added she favours the change since it clearly states what park rules are for. With a three-month notice before the park rule changes, residents can contest the proposal if it goes against the Tenancy Act.

A member of the Prince George Manufactured Home Park Owners’ Alliance, Gorgon Langer, says he has no problems with the tenants.

“It really hasn’t affected me, I think it’s actually a good thing. It’s more reasonable than it was before,” said Langer.

He says older parks see more challenges between tenants and park owners because the new owners sometimes change the rules to improve the park.

A statement from the B.C. Government says this new rule change aligns with other tenancy laws, such as annual rent increases.

Click here to report an error or typo in this article