foothills airplane accident

Police urge onlookers to stay away from crash scene

Aug 21, 2026 | 3:41 PM


PRINCE GEORGE – A small plane made an emergency landing on Foothills Boulevard Thursday afternoon and hit several vehicles, resulting in one death.

Prince George RCMP said they received a report around 2:20 p.m. on Aug. 20 about a small plane landing on Foothills Boulevard, about 1.5 kilometres north of North Nechako Road. Officers found that vehicles were also involved.

Police confirmed that one person, who was in one of the vehicles, died. RCMP said it is not yet known if others in the vehicles or on the plane were injured.

The Transportation Safety Board said the Beechcraft King Air 200 took off from Sturdee Airstrip at about 1:25 p.m. with two crew members and six passengers. The plane was en route to Prince George International Airport when it lost power in one engine, forcing the crew to land on Foothills Boulevard.

The TSB said the plane hit four vehicles and reported that one person on the ground was killed. No injuries were reported among the crew or passengers. RCMP said two vehicles were involved.

B.C. Emergency Health Services said it got a call at 2:26 p.m. Two ambulances, two link and referral units, a paramedic supervisor, and an area manager responded. Paramedics checked 10 people in total, and two were taken to hospital in stable condition, according to BCEHS paramedic public information officer Brian Twaites.

RCMP, BCEHS, and Prince George Fire and Rescue were the first to arrive at the scene, said Cpl. Jennifer Cooper, the RCMP media relations officer.

“First on scene were the first responders from Prince George and local RCMP, emergency health services, and Prince George Fire and Rescue,” Cooper said. “The investigation has now been turned over to both the Transportation Safety Board and the coroner’s service. We remain on scene to provide scene security.”

Cooper strongly urged the public to stay away from the site, saying that too many curious people had already gathered nearby.

“We have a lot of curious people here in Prince George,” Cooper said. “Our request right now, and it’s a very strongly worded request, is that everybody just maintain your distance. This is still an active investigation.”

Cooper warned that the crowds were taking officers away from other emergencies.

“The more people we have to put here maintaining scene security means fewer people out on the road answering 911 calls,” she said. “That could be someone else who also needs police officers in a hurry.”

She added that anyone who ignores police instructions could face investigations for obstruction or mischief.

Foothills Boulevard was closed in both directions overnight and into Friday. Police asked drivers to take other routes.

Cooper said there is no set time for when the road will reopen.

“It is not clear how long it will take,” she said. “This investigation is in the hands of the Transportation Safety Board, which is doing its due diligence to follow its own protocols.”

The TSB said its investigators arrived Thursday night and were at the scene Friday to document the site and collect evidence. Interviews with those involved are being arranged.

The board said the investigation aims to improve transportation safety. It will not assign blame or determine civil or criminal liability.