(Image Credit: BC Wildfire Service)
Wildfire

Highway 97 reopens after wildfire

Aug 17, 2026 | 4:40 PM


PRINCE GEORGE – Residents are returning home and traffic is once again flowing through the South Cariboo after weeks of disruption caused by the Pear Lake Wildfire.

Highway 97 between Clinton and 70 Mile House reopened to all traffic Saturday afternoon, restoring a critical transportation corridor that had been closed as wildfire crews battled the blaze. The reopening also coincided with the lifting of evacuation orders for hundreds of properties in and around Clinton, allowing many residents to finally return home after weeks of uncertainty.

For those affected, the reopening marks a major milestone in the region’s recovery. However, officials stress that the wildfire emergency is far from over and significant challenges remain for residents, property owners and emergency responders.

According to the Thompson-Nicola Regional District, approximately 373 rural properties were downgraded from evacuation order to evacuation alert over the weekend. The Village of Clinton also lifted its evacuation order, affecting more than 430 additional properties.

While many families are now able to return to their homes, not everyone has a home to return to.

Communications and Marketing Manager Colten Davies says the wildfire has left extensive damage throughout the region.

“At this time, we’ve had about 126 properties that have had some sort of structure loss due to the Pear Lake Fire,” Davies said. “Of those 126 or so properties that have had some sort of structure loss, about 70 of those have had severe structure loss.”

The losses range from damaged outbuildings and other structures to homes that were completely destroyed by the wildfire.

Davies noted that while the evacuation downgrade is welcome news, some of the affected property owners are facing the difficult reality of rebuilding their lives after suffering devastating losses.

Regional district officials have already begun working directly with impacted residents to help them navigate the recovery process.

“Our hearts go out to them, especially people who have lost their homes,” Davies said, adding that significant one-on-one support efforts are underway and will continue in the weeks ahead.

For residents who escaped major damage, returning home still brings considerable work.

Many properties are covered in ash and debris left behind by the wildfire. Extended power outages during the evacuation period have also left many residents dealing with spoiled food and other cleanup concerns.

To help with those efforts, the TNRD has established a resiliency centre at the Clinton Curling Club. The facility provides cleanup kits donated by the Canadian Red Cross, access to emergency support services and information on available recovery resources.

Officials are also arranging disposal options for spoiled food and other waste generated by the extended evacuations and power outages.

Residents returning home are being encouraged to prepare to be self-sufficient for several days, bringing groceries, fuel and essential supplies with them as local services continue to resume normal operations.

While residents focus on recovery, travellers are being reminded that Highway 97 remains an active wildfire corridor despite reopening to traffic.

Stopping anywhere along the reopened section of highway is prohibited and side roads remain closed. Motorists should also expect reduced speed limits and occasional delays as utility crews, emergency personnel and recovery teams continue their work.

Davies urged drivers to remain patient and alert while travelling through the area.

“Definitely be patient and be prepared for potential delays and be aware of just the active wildfire that is around there,” he said. “Obviously the fire’s contained enough in the Clinton area for that order to be downgraded to alert, but it wouldn’t be unlikely for people to see plumes of smoke from within the fire perimeter, for example.”

Drivers are also being encouraged to fill their fuel tanks before entering the area and carry extra drinking water and snacks in case of delays.

Officials note that wildfire activity can continue long after visible flames have been brought under control. Smouldering stumps and other hotspots may still be visible within burned areas, particularly inside the existing fire perimeter.

The changed landscape itself can also create distractions for motorists.

In many areas, scorched forests and damaged properties now line the highway, providing visible reminders of the wildfire’s impact on local communities.

Safety concerns persist for those returning home as well.

Danger trees, hidden hotspots and ash pits remain hazards in some burned areas. Residents are being encouraged to use caution while cleaning their properties and to seek assistance when needed.

Despite the positive developments, evacuation orders remain in place for some communities outside the Clinton area.

The TNRD says locations including areas near Big Bar Road, Jesmond Road and Kelly Lake continue to face active wildfire threats and are not yet considered safe for residents to return.

Emergency officials continue to assess conditions daily and say they will lift remaining evacuation orders as soon as it is safe to do so.

For now, the reopening of Highway 97 and the return of hundreds of residents represents a significant step forward for a region that has spent much of the summer coping with wildfire emergencies.

But as families begin the long process of recovery, officials say the focus remains on supporting those who have lost homes, restoring services and ensuring communities can safely move toward rebuilding after one of the area’s most challenging wildfire seasons in recent memory.