Health Canada: Radioactive Gas Could Be In Your Home

By Ashley Burr
March 5, 2018 - 12:31pm Updated: March 5, 2018 - 5:38pm

PRINCE GEORGE - Radon is a radioactive gas produced by the breakdown of uranium in the ground. It can easily enter your home undetected through cracks and gaps in your basement. 

You can’t see it, smell it, or taste it.

Health Cannada is encouraging all homeowners to buy radon test kits. To date, only 6% of all homes in Canada have been tested for the gas. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer.  

Winnie Cheng from Health Canada says the winter months are particularly dangerous because we keep our doors and windows shut. 

The public library is hosting a radon forum tonight at 7 pm. 

All homes have some level of radon. The only way to know if the level of radon is of concern is to test for it.

You can either purchase a radon test kit or contact a certified professional to help you check the level in your home.

 

CETA Good News For Prince George

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.